Monday, July 10, 2017

Lessons I Learned From The Road

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I have always been fascinated by life on the open road. There was always something exciting and sexy about traveling to new places, even if it was within my own country. Seeing new spots, meeting new people, and back packing the wilderness on a path to adventure was always a dream of mine. About a month ago, I stopped making excuses and I decided to go and just do it. 
I forgot about money or company or an itinerary and I just focused on being in the moment, where ever that moment led me. I rented a van. I threw my mattress, pillows, and my favorite blanket, and a cooler in the back and headed west. I camped out of the van. I hiked across several mountain areas. I visited major cities. I stopped in all kinds of mom and pop shops and I ate great food.
I encourage all of you to do just what I did. You won't regret it. Here are a few things I learned while throwing caution to the wind.



Stop making excuses
You keep seeing people posting pictures on Instagram and Facebook. Maybe some place catches your eye in a magazine. Perhaps you heard stories from other people about all the adventures they had or a vacation they took. What is stopping you? Kids? Finances? Transportation? Work? All of these excuses may feel very real and be very valid but the simple and honest answer comes down to one reason you aren't going out there and one reason alone: YOU.

Take the trip
Pick a place. Just decide to do it. Most of us don't have endless finances or resources (I know I don't), but I am here to tell you that you can have the time of your life with very little. It's not a lack of resources it's a lack of resourcefulness that stops us from chasing our dreams. The best things in life don't cost very much. Adventure is cheap! It's not always about flying first class or eating a five course meal. The fact is, it's about the experiences. The biggest problem is we think we have time. We say, "I'll do it one day." We don't have time. One day never comes. Life is short. Take the trip, eat the ice cream, buy the shoes, and photograph it all!

Keep it simple
You don't always need a plan. You don't need to calculate every last detail or have an itemized check list of every little thing you want to do, see, or pack. Sometimes we plan so much and push ourselves so hard that our vacation can feel like work! I got my transportation. I packed only what I knew I would need. I had some killer tunes on the stereo. Keep in mind, you need food, shelter, water, and some gas money. If you do it right, you won't need much more than that. (I did buy a few souvenirs. Eh, life is short!)

You don't always need a plan
Once I packed, had transportation, I opened up google maps and clicked on every general area that looked cool to me and I went wheels up. I felt more free than ever because I had no place specific to be and no real time crunch to be anywhere. That gave me freedom to stop where ever and look around. No stress! We live in complicated times but we forget that most of life's complications are self inflicted. Sometimes, you just need to wing it.

Take pictures
When I visit the wilderness, I always say, "Take only pictures and leave only foot prints." I say that out of respect for the land and I really enjoy looking back at the gorgeous sights that I photographed when I finally return to home base. It's also beautiful and rewarding to share those pictures with friends that weren't able to come with you on your adventures. Everything is in constant change. We can't slow down father time. Our bodies age, and the landscapes around us change too. Be sure to document and capture as many moments as you can where ever you go

Embrace meeting new people
Getting out of your comfort zone and meeting new and different people can be very enjoyable and it provides you an excellent opportunity to grow as a person. You might not think that growth would be a part of your vacation/adventure, but if you open your heart to new people, I assure you that it will be. Everyone has a story. Everyone has a fresh perspective. Sample it! Talk to people. Find out the history of where you are. Find out the best places to eat or where the best live music is. Whatever. Doing so will give you the stories that you'll be excited to tell. Just connect with your fellow humans!

Be open to the journey
Find the joy in the travel, not the destination. Often times, the most amazing things happen, not when you arrive, but in the process of getting there. (Where ever you think "there" is) Find peace even when you are stuck on the interstate or when you think you are lost. Know that behind every corner is something new! Something that your eyes has yet to see or perhaps a food that you have yet to taste or a person that you have yet to meet. It's all part of the adventure! Be open!

I spent five nights and six days on the road. I ate at great diners. I hiked amazing trails. I woke up next to gorgeous rivers. I met beautiful people. I left my wrist watch, my troubles, and my worries on the curb before I left home. Let me tell you, it was one of the most amazing times I've had in my life. I can't wait to do it all again. Simplify. Stop the excuses. Get a map. Pack a bag. Hit the road. I'll see you out there. Safe travels, peaceful warriors!

No comments:

Post a Comment